Child sex offender pleads not guilty over removal of ankle bracelet

By | August 11, 2015

Convicted sex offender Daniel Livingstone has pleaded not guilty to charges over the alleged removal of his ankle bracelet.

Police started a search for the Livingstone, 28, after he allegedly cut off his electric monitoring bracelet on Thursday last week. He was found at the Naenae shops in Lowerhutt on Friday, after a member of the public reported a sighting to police.

Livingstone was released from prison last year, and was subjected to an extended supervision order that required him to wear a GPS monitoring anklet. He served an eight-year sentence for the abduction, rape, and threatening of a 10-year-old girl in 2006.

Livingstone appeared in the Hutt Valley District Court today via video link, and has pleaded guilty to two charges: one for failing to submit to electronic monitoring, and another for breaching an intensive supervision order.

Detective Inspector Grant Wormald said last Friday that a review will be conducted with the way the incident was managed. “We are looking at whether there was another option there. But suffice to say, when they did go in, it was to confirm that he definitely wasn’t there . . . and look for any other relevant evidence,” he said.

“We will move forward and see if there are some learnings, and see if there is a better way we could have done it to ensure things like this don’t happen again,” he added.

Livingstone has been remanded in custody, and will appear in court on August 20 for a case review hearing. He made no application for bail.