Convicted murderer to get parole after 17 years

By | February 10, 2016

A woman who was convicted of murdering a man has been granted parole after serving for 17 years.

Natalie Fenton spent more than half of her life in prison after she was convicted of murdering 59-year-old Raymond Mullins, an engineer from Papatoetoe, in 1999. Fenton was only 15 years old at the time.

She was one of three teenagers who were jailed for what is being described as “frenzied stabbing” of Mullins. The two others are her sister Katrina and Danielle Bowman, who were 19 and 17 at the time.

Fenton had been sentenced to life in prison in 2000, and had been consistently denied parole. On Wednesday, February 10, however, the Parole Board secession said that she has completed therapy and poses low risk to the community.

The board said: “This woman has spent more than half her life in prison from the age of 15 years until her present age. She has successfully participated in intensive treatment and reintegrative activities. Her release plan is solid with support, accommodation and employment available to her.”

“We are satisfied that she has met the statutory requirement for release on parole; namely that she no longer poses an undue risk to the safety of the community.”

The Herald reported that Mullins and Fenton had a sexual relationship. The murder happened after he refused to give her and the two other teens money. He was repeatedly stabbed in the stomach with a steak knife.

Another report said that when the blade bended, Fenton went to the kitchen and got another knife.

“Katrina Fenton held him down and hit him continuously on the head with a hammer, while Bowman fetched more weapons and hit him with a cooking pot,” said a report by Stuff. “Other weapon included an ashtray and a table leg. The letter W or N was also carved into his chest with a knife. His body was dragged downstairs where he was wrapped in a sheet and dumped in the boot of his car.”

Fenton will be released in April, and will continue to be under probation.