New case of measles reported in Nelson

By | May 29, 2016

A new case of measles has recently been reported in Nelson.

Health officials say that this is the third case that has been reported. According to the Nelson Marlborough Public Health Service, this is the first that required hospitalisation, but is not related to the other two earlier cases.

According to NZ City, the first two reported cases were relate–the second case was one of the poeple in isolation had been in contact with the first case, which is recovering and is no longer contagious.

The first case is now recovering and is no longer contagious.

“The best thing for people to do is to make sure you and your children are up to date with the MMR (measles mumps rubella) vaccine,” said medical officer of health Dr Andrew Lindsay. “Check with your GP to be sure, and your GP can also give you the best immunisation advice for your circumstances.”

Medical officer of health Dr Andrew Lindsay advised that people should they are alwaysup-to-date with vaccines for measles, mumps, and rubella.

The Ministry of Health says that one must check with their doctor if they are fully immunised against measles, especially if they are born after 1968 or travelling abroad.

Measles affects both adults and children, and is easily passed from person through the air (ie. breathing, coughing, sneezing). It is highly contagious but is easily preventable–all you need to do is to get two doses of the measles vaccine.

The illness starts about seven to 18 days after exposure. The Health Ministry listed the following first symptoms: fever, cough, runny nose, sore and watery “pink” eyes, and sometimes small white spots on the back inned cheek of the mouth.

To learn more, visit the Health Ministry’s website .